There are many types of licences that allow you to ride a two-wheeled vehicle: category AM of the car licence and riding licence: A, A1, A2, BSR, ASR, etc. You want to be able to ride a motorbike, zoom in on the different types of motorbike licences and the conditions of their acquisitions.

The A Licence

The motorbike licence, also known as A licence, allows you to ride all motorbikes without any limitation in terms of cylinder capacity, regardless of whether it is equipped with a sidecar or not. To have this type of licence, you must be at least 23 and a half years old to be able to take the theory test and 24 years old to sit for the practical test. However, if you are under 24 years of age, you should be aware that there are alternatives. The A licence can be issued after 2 years from when you got your A2 licence and after attending a 7-hour training course. From the age of 16, the A1 licence, can be obtainable. This licence, also known as the 125 licence, as its name suggests, will allow you to ride a motorbike with a maximum capacity of 125 cm3. The A2 licence gives permission to ride motorbikes with or without a sidecar, but the power may not exceed 35 kW (47.6 HP). The A2 licence is an intermediate licence for new motorbike licence holders.

The B Licence

The B car licence authorises you to ride a two-wheeler with a cubic capacity of up to 125 cm3, but under certain conditions. If you have held a B licence for at least two years and if before 2011 you have already ridden a motorbike with insurance, you are authorised to ride a two-wheeler with a displacement of up to 125 cm3 under this condition. Otherwise, you will have to take a practical training course lasting 7 hours. It is possible to do this training after the previous month of the second year of your licence.

Is it possible to ride a motorbike without a licence?

You might be wondering if there is a motorbike that does not require a riding licence. The answer is yes. It is possible to ride a motorbike under 50 cm3 without a licence. Depending on your date of birth, you still have to meet a few conditions. You need to be at least 16 years old to ride your 50cc motorbike without any conditions. However, you must have turned 18 to be able to ride any two-vehicle over 80cc’s; you will need to hold either a driving licence or a parallel licence issued by the European Economic Area (EEA), a state of the European Union, or the BSR or Brevet de Sécurité Routière (road safety certificate).